Enabling Trace On Oracle Client
Tracing produces a detailed sequence of statements that describe network events as they are run. Tracing an operation enables you to obtain more information about the internal operations of the components of Oracle Net Services than is provided in a log file.
Each Oracle Net Services component produces its own trace file. To enable tracing on the oracle client, the configuration file which needs to be modified is sqlnet.ora. This file can be found in ORACLE_HOME\network\admin directory.
Oracle Net Manager is a component/tool installed while installing Oracle client. It enables you to configure Oracle Net Services for an Oracle home on a local client or server host.
Below is a screenshot with the trace parameters set.
There are not many steps to be followed.
- Start Oracle Net Manager.
- In the navigator pane, expand Profile under the Local heading.
- From the list in the right pane, select General.
- Click the Tracing tab.
- Uncheck “Enable ADR”. ADR (automatic diagnostic repository) is a system wide tracing and logging central repository. If this is not unchecked (i.e.
DIAG_ADR_ENABLEDparameter is set to
ON)any tracing parameters set are ignored.
- Specify the trace level (support indicates detailed tracing), directory and a file name.
- Choose Save Network Configuration from the File menu.